Job and Person Specification – 18 December 2018
Scottish Independence Convention Ltd
Coordinator – £28,000-£32,000
Fixed term one-year contract
The Scottish Independence Convention (SIC) Ltd is the campaigning and fundraising arm of a coalition of Scotland’s independence supporting organisations, which will be launching a campaign to lift support for Scottish Independence to well above 50% in 2019.
We are looking for a Coordinator, who will be a strong supporter of Scottish Independence, with extensive campaigning experience, to lead the development and implementation of that campaign and to head up a team of up to five. The successful candidate will need to work effectively with all parts of the independence movement and will be responsible to the SIC Ltd board.
Initially a one-year contract the salary will be in the range of £28,000 to £32,000 per annum, depending on experience, with a view to renew until Scottish independence is gained. Flexible working requests are welcomed and would be discussed at interview stage.
A CV should be submitted with a covering letter of no more than 300 words, outlining your suitability for the post, including the names and contact details of two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Referees will not be contacted prior to interview. The closing date for applications is Monday 14th January 2019 at 5pm. Interviews will be held w/c 21st January 2019. please also complete and return the attached equalities and disabilities form: Equal Opportunities Form
The role will involve developing and delivering a campaign to lift support for Scottish independence to well above 50%, and will require effective responses to rapidly moving news and political agendas. A track record in organising and running campaigns and the ability to manage staff in a small organisation are essential.
The following are the key roles and responsibilities of the post:
- Strategic campaign planning and delivery.
- Liaising with partner organisations across the independence movement and furthering links with the grassroots network.
- Development of a resource hub for independence campaigners.
- Managing and directing, effectively, a small team and organisation.
- Overseeing the strategic approach to, and delivery of, effective media liaison.
- Overseeing the strategic approach to, and delivery of, social media communications.
- Organisation and management of events.
- Representing SIC Ltd at meetings, events and in the media.
- Production of articles for publication, press releases and briefings.
- Commissioning of research.
- Maintaining and developing campaign websites.
- Fundraising to ensure SIC Ltd is financially viable.
- Oversight of personnel management, annual reporting and accounting.
- Servicing the Board of SIC Ltd.
- Maintaining accurate and up to date records of relationships on the SIC Ltd database and in compliance with data protection principles.
- Delivering any other relevant aspects of campaigns and fundraising in keeping with the role.
Person specification and experience
Candidates will be:
- Experienced campaigners with an excellent track record of managing and delivering successful campaigns.
- Self-starting, self-managing and able to inspire and lead a team of committed staff.
- Politically aware and sensitive to the integrity of SIC Ltd and its reputation.
- Energetic and creative in delivering ideas and developing those proposed by others.
- Able to facilitate the working of a broad coalition and create consensus around ideas and proposals.
- An effective and engaging communicator, both verbally and in writing, able to represent the organisation effectively both at public events and on broadcast media, with this skill being a strong advantage.
- Candidates will be effective at growing and building networks.
- Committed to building a fair, compassionate and diverse working environment and to ensure the promotion and equality of diversity in all SIC Ltd does.
Candidates should have the following experience, either from the workplace, voluntary sector or personal experience:
- A good track record of managing and delivering campaigns and projects successfully and on time.
- A good knowledge, and practical application of, strategies for dealing with the media and of preparation of media materials.
- Some knowledge of research work to inform campaign development and as a campaign resource.
- Experience of staff management and administration.
- Fundraising experience would be an advantage.
- Some knowledge of accounting for, and reporting on, budgets and organisational performance.
- Some knowledge and understanding of human resources issues.
Conditions of employment
The successful applicant will be:
- Employed for 35 hours a week. The post is likely to require work outside normal working hours and involve some travel around Scotland. Flexible working requests are welcomed and would be discussed at interview stage.
- Entitled to 35 days holiday per annum including public holidays.
- Statutory pension contribution.
If you wish to have an informal discussion about the role please email email@example.com either with your name and telephone number or any questions and we will call/email you back.
The Scottish Independence Convention Ltd
18 December 2018